August 18, 2015
Posted by on
One of the common things to do in OBIEE is to jump between dashboards with all the filters preserved in the both places. Assuming that there are conformed dimensions between the two dashboards, the easiest way to do this is by using the “Navigate to Web Page” function in a column “Action Link”. Here are the high level steps:
- Get the URL from the target dashboard – select “Page Options” from top right corner and select the “Create Prompted Link” option
- Once selected, the “Prompted Link” will be shown on the URL address bar and the following message will show up:”A Prompted link capturing the prompts and values of this pages has been created. It is shown in the browser’s Address Bar”.
- This”Prompted Link” URL will have the necessary variables required by OBIEE to pass the parameters between dashboards. Now copy the prompted link and save it somewhere (such as a text file, etc)
- Create an “Action Link” in the source dashboard. This can be done by editing the Analysis in the Criteria section
- Select one of the column (typically a measure) and select “Column Properties”
- Now switch to the “Interaction” tab and add a new Action Link by clicking +. Select “Navigate to a Web Page”
- This will open another option to specify the URL. Paste the “Prompted Link” URL and select “Define Parameters” to populate parameters to be passed with the values from the source dashboard
- Now all the required parameters will be populated. Modify the ones with “val”, i.e. val1, val2, val3, etc, and populated them with the values from the source dashboard by selecting the “Column Value” option. This will bring an available columns to be selected. Typically, all the other columns can be left as default since they dictate all the required column names and such
- Repeat the above step to set all the required parameters (val) and click OK to save
- Optionally this “Action Link” can be set as a conditional link, i.e. the link will only be visible if certain conditions are met. To do this, simply select the “Conditionally” option and add a filter. The filters are basically all the columns available in the Analysis. Click OK to save.
- Now the “Action Link” is ready and can be access from the source dashboard. Pivot/table cell will turn blue is an interaction is defined. Right click and and select the appropriate “Action Link”