Hyperion & stuff

Stuff about Hyperion and stuff

Monthly Archives: January 2011

My new pet project, JExtract

The other day, I’ve decided to learn myself the Essbase Java API.  I figured the best way to do it is to build something from scratch.  Since I need to maintain metadata from several cubes (my day job, sadly), I thought this would be a good utility to create.  So I call my new pet project, JExtract, the Java based Essbase Outline Extractor.  The basic stuff is mostly there such as

  • Connect to Essbase server and application.
  • Disconnect from Essbase (obviously).
  • Store configuration in text file.
  • Query and extract dimension.
  • Build level, generation and parent child output file.

I’ve also created a Source Forge project to host this thing.  Check out http://jextract.sourceforge.net for details.  However, I haven’t uploaded any files just yet.

Advertisements

EPMA wrong deployment host

I had a scare recently with yet another EPMA issue.  After a load balancing exercise on the Hyperion servers by distributing the components, suddenly EPMA deployment for Essbase apps wouldn’t work anymore.  It returned with HTTP Error 500, bla bla bla.  Previously I had moved EAS and APS from the box running EPMA to another box.  When trying to deploy an Essbase app manually, I noticed that the EPMA deployment host was somehow pointing to the server running EAS.  After several tries of restarting EPMA, reconfiguring Web Server and restarting EAS, I finally decided to reconfigured the old EAS and Web Server running on the same box as EPMA.  Guess what, it worked.  The EPMA deployment host was now back to the right server.  I didn’t think that EAS would be related to Essbase deployment, but I guess it is.